You probably have heard about this brand a lot of times recently, but what is the best Birkenstocks for plantar fasciitis? What makes them so trustworthy for people who are suffering from the issue?
- Are Birkenstocks Good For Plantar Fasciitis?
8 Best Birkenstocks For Plantar Fasciitis
- 1. Birkenstock Unisex Arizona Soft Footbed Sandal – Best Overall
- 2. Birkenstock unisex-adult Thong
- 3. Birkenstock Women’s Florida Sandal – Best Birkenstock Walking Sandals for Women
- 4. Birkenstock Women’s Granada Soft Footbed Slide
- 5. Birkenstock Women’s Mayari Oiled Leather Sandals
- 6. Birkenstock Women’s Zermatt Slipper – Best Birkenstocks Slipper For Plantar Fasciitis
- 7. Birkenstock Men’s Arizona Essentials EVA Sandal – Best Birkenstock Water Sandals
- 8. Birkenstock Men’s Arizona Eva Sandal
- Avoid These Shoes If You Have Plantar Fasciitis
- Our Top Pick
Are Birkenstocks Good For Plantar Fasciitis?
The major reason Birkenstock became a reliable name for plantar fasciitis is the generous support from the multi-layered footbed of their shoes. They defy the unnatural curved caused by body weight and thus lessen the pain from common foot problems.
Birkenstock has a roomy toe box that allows the toes to flex and curl with freedom. When our toes are in that comfortable position, our balance is ensured.
Another feature designed for heel spurs and plantar fasciitis is the deep heel cup. It molds to your heels and helps them carry the weight of the body in a straight posture.
What Podiatrists Say
According to Dr. Asim Sayed from the American College of Foot and Ankle, Birkenstock is different from shoes with insufficient support.
It’s because their products are based on a special footbed with multiple layers for optimal comfort and stability.
Made of latex and cork, Birkenstock shoes can reduce shock and air out all moisture to give your feet a healthy environment.
8 Best Birkenstocks For Plantar Fasciitis
So, which Birkenstock footbed is best for plantar fasciitis? Here are our top 8 picks for you to check out.
1. Birkenstock Unisex Arizona Soft Footbed Sandal – Best Overall
Birkenstock Arizona is a guarantee for you when you need to walk on challenging materials like pebbled concrete or join crowded events like summer festivals.
It feels firm under your feet with enough bounce to motivate your steps.
The materials require a short wear-in period, which you can achieve by using the shoes in short intervals and increasing the duration eventually. This method will get your shoes ready without causing you pain or blisters.
Once you have overcome the initial stage, Birkenstock Unisex Arizona sandals become the ultimate fit for you with their cushioned footbed and adjustable straps.
Don’t let the absence of the heel straps give you a false impression, for the heel cups will contour to your feet and fixate the position.
- Unisex design.
- Mold to your feet and leave plenty of room for air.
- Various colors and sizes.
- It requires break-in time.
Check more: 8 Best New Balance Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis
Taking after the design of the classic flip-flops, Birkenstock thongs are the best solution for people who want to enjoy a summer look without risking their feet’s health.
Despite the appearance, these thongs come with comfy straps and deep heel cups, which you won’t see in regular flip-flops.
The heel cups hug your feet so thoroughly that you will feel like you are wearing a pair of sandals. Yet you still have the breathability and convenience of flip-flops.
Equipped with EVA Birkenstock insoles, the unisex thongs easily absorb shock and impact from the environment. It is not vulnerable to water, hence mold and irritation are unlikely to happen.
- Convenient and stylish.
- Great shock absorption.
- Strong resistance against environmental factors.
- It needs wear-in time.
- The straps wear out quite quickly.
3. Birkenstock Women’s Florida Sandal – Best Birkenstock Walking Sandals for Women
With a wide range of colors and patterns for the straps, Florida Sandal easily takes the spot as the most favorable walking or even hiking sandals for women and men. In terms of quality, it is also a remarkable opponent of other names in this list.
As usual, the downside of a Birkenstock product is it needs to break in, yet the sandals with 100% leather will cradle your feet with the optimal grip.
The triple straps aren’t only for aesthetics. Each of them is adjustable to fit different widths of feet.
From the generous toe box to the slightly raised heel, this sandal is designed to give your entire foot the room and the position it needs.
In fact, Florida runs a size bigger as well, hence you will find your feet swimming in the sandals if you get the correct size.
- All straps are adjustable.
- Large toe box for comfort.
- The sandals run in bigger sizes.
- Slightly expensive.
Rather than sandals or flip-flops, Granada has the design of classic slides. However, you will feel the difference when you put them on and let the footbed mold to your feet.
The smoothness of the leather will embrace and support each step you take without straining the muscles or forcing them into an unfavorable state.
High-quality jute layered with latex and cork gives this footwear ample arch support while remaining breathable and refreshing.
Satisfied buyers reported that Granada slides totally changed the way they walk by supporting them from their feet to their knees.
Not only does Granada offer many sizes, but it also categorizes the sizes based on how wide the foot is.
- 100% leather with rubber soles.
- Ample heel support and arch support.
- Breathable and airy environment for your feet.
- Slightly expensive.
If you are not a fan of simplicity, you might have hated abandoning your pretty shoes because of plantar fasciitis, these Birkenstock women’s flip-flops will come in handy.
With multiple colors for the crossed traps (metallic) included, it is no longer therapeutic footwear but a sure win when you want all eyes on you.
Aside from cuteness, the cork footbed has a design true to the anatomy of our foot, combined with a deep heel cup for stability.
Moreover, the edge of the footbed is fine suede, which will fit your foot shape after a break-in period, as though it was made exclusively for you.
Although it looks feminine and cute, you can rely on it to absorb the impact inflicted on your feet when you go a long distance.
- EVA outsoles for shock absorption.
- Very fashionable and chic.
- Ample comfort and support.
- It runs bigger than the actual size.
Check more: Teva Vs Birkenstock Comparison
6. Birkenstock Women’s Zermatt Slipper – Best Birkenstocks Slipper For Plantar Fasciitis
Zermatt is completely different from the previous mentions when it comes to materials. It features a wool upper to keep your feet warm, and you wouldn’t want to skip this option if you are going through a harsh winter.
Beneath the soft upper is still the heart of all Birkenstock footbeds. A multi-layered structure of cork and latex gives your feet the ultimate comfort they need and puts you in a suitable posture for evenly distributed weight.
Let’s not be fooled by the fluffy upper.
The attachment between it and the footbed is very tight and secure. Added with the rubber soles, this seemingly delicate footwear is made to last if you treat the upper carefully.
- Lovely and cozy design.
- Durable rubber outsole.
- The contoured footbed is a generous source of support.
- Quite costly.
- The wool upper is not durable.
7. Birkenstock Men’s Arizona Essentials EVA Sandal – Best Birkenstock Water Sandals
Among Birkenstock Water sandals as well as all products of the brand, the Arizona Essentials EVA Sandal is one of the common favorites. It is well-known for the anatomical precision of its footbed, which molds to your feet and leaves no gap in between.
Besides the traditional roomy toe box, Arizona Essentials have a slight raise in the forefoot to circulate the blood flow more effectively.
When you have an inflammation issue like plantar fasciitis, keeping your feet in a healthy environment is extra important.
There’s no need for break-in time with these synthetic fabrics, yet you would want to keep in mind that it can’t beat the smoothness and coziness of worn-in leather.
- Great shock absorption.
- Anatomically correct design.
- Not very long-lasting.
- It is deemed costly for its cheap materials.
Out of all the names in this compilation, Birkenstock Men’s Arizona Eva is probably the closest model to our traditional sandals.
It has two straps on the front and one strap for the heel, all of them are adjustable and fashionable with metallic buckles.
Using leather for the upper and rubber for the sole, it has all the potential to be durable. And the footbed made of suede, latex, and cork only solidifies it further.
Surprisingly enough, this sporty-looking footwear is very lightweight and flexible.
As a design for men, there aren’t many colors for options, which might put buyers in a dilemma before they invest a lot of money in this product.
- Durable and high-quality materials.
- Adjustable straps for a perfect fit.
- Generous support.
- Much more expensive than most Birkenstock shoes.
- Only a few colors are available.
Avoid These Shoes If You Have Plantar Fasciitis
You have worn a favorite pair of shoes forever and considered it your best friend, but it might be time to say goodbye if you don’t want your plantar fasciitis more severe.
Old shoes tend to have exhausted soles with insufficient support, which will not reduce impact and strain on your feet.
Old shoes are not good, yet it doesn’t mean brand new shoes will be your solution, especially leather shoes.
Leather is one of the best materials for comfort, indeed. Unfortunately, it needs a couple of weeks as break-in time before you get to enjoy the virtues it possesses.
High heels look sophisticated and commend your overall figure, yet it undeniably puts your feet in an unfavorable position.
The more it raises your foot arch, the more pressure your plantar fascia suffers.
Moreover, walking in high heels heightens the risk of accidents.
If you thought you were safe with flats because high heels are dangerous, you would have to think again.
Flats don’t raise your heels to an inappropriate level, yet they are completely useless for arch support.
When having no support, the arch of your foot will be flattened and strained painfully.
1. Is Walking Barefoot Good For Plantar Fasciitis?
Walking on your bare feet might provide a few benefits:
- It shifts your weight to the balls of your feet, which lessens the pressure on the heels and improves your gait. Shorter strides happening as a natural result will also contribute to it.
- Balance is enhanced when you practice barefoot walking or running. It’s believed that direct contact with the ground will also motivate the entire body to cooperate.
However, barefoot movements also pose a risk due to some reasons:
- It strains your heels with no support, so it can worsen the conditions of plantar fasciitis if you are already suffering from the pain.
- No shock absorption is available when you step on the hard ground with nothing to share the force put onto your feet. And, unfortunately, this factor is extremely important for people who have foot problems or don’t practice consistently.
- Vulnerability is inevitable if your feet are exposed to hazards like extreme temperatures, sharp fragments, and dirt particles.
2. What Aggravates Plantar Fasciitis?
If you are trying to treat plantar fasciitis, it’s best to forsake these bad habits immediately:
- Being overweight
Aside from diabetes and heart diseases, excess body mass also adds more pressure to your hips, knees, and ankles.
You should have a suitable exercise plan and a diet.
- Wearing incompatible shoes
Flip-flops and flats are quick and convenient, but they have little to no support for the stressed plantar fascia.
High heels and tight shoes, on the other hand, put your feet in an unnatural position and increase the pressure they have to endure.
- Tolerate the pain
When your body is in pain, it means something is not right. Ignoring these signals means you are tearing the muscles apart and eventually affecting your whole posture.
- Standing or sitting for too long
Changing your positions regularly helps to distribute pressure throughout your body evenly. Take short breaks and avoid standing still for a long period.
- Abandon simple exercises
Before you join an activity, stretching and warming up will soothe the offense of plantar fasciitis and prevent the muscles from tearing.
Furthermore, strengthening your feet’s bottom as well as your calves might suppress this issue from developing.
3. Will Plantar Fasciitis Eventually Heal?
Yes, you can recover from plantar fasciitis all by yourself, yet the process might last for a whole year and more.
If you don’t get the right treatment, this foot problem can become complicated and involve different areas such as ankles and knees.
We recommend getting advice from your doctor as soon as possible, for there are many therapies you can use before resorting to surgery.
Our Top Pick
Birkenstock has been recognized as a great solution for many foot problems because they offer a good dose of comfort and support.
With careful consideration, we choose Arizona Soft Footbed Sandals as the best Birkenstocks for plantar fasciitis because its design is for all genders. The support is generous, and the price is very reasonable.