Flip flops vs Slides might cause a little bit of confusion with how similar they look, but is that everything about them? Why is there a huge difference in the prices? The mystery shall be unveiled now!
Flip Flops And Slides: What Are They?
Flip flops have a Japanese background, and the land is also the origin of many sandal models. American soldiers developed a liking for thong sandals during the 2nd World War and created their own version with rubber soles. This footwear is completely open with only one V-shaped strap keeping the foot attached to the sole.
Not so long after, several cultures crossed and gave birth to the slides. Birkenstock was the first brand that came up with a model featuring two straps and double buckles. The straps will secure the fit for you, and they are also a good canvas for designers to unleash their creativity.
They both are casual and simple footwear, but are flip flops and slides the same thing?
Flip Flops vs Slides Comparison
When you look at the flip flops, you can detect a V-shaped thong piece separating your big toe from the rest and connecting to a rubber bottom.
Meanwhile, slides have a thick strap attached to the sole. The difference between slides and flip-flops continues although it is not easy to notice.
|Strap||A v-shaped thong piece to separate the toe from the rest||A thick strap attached to the sole|
|Materials||Rubber, plastic||Rubber, plastic, leather|
|Design||Little patterns||More embellishments|
|Comfort||Not suitable for terrain-dependant activities||Some models are anti-slip surfaces|
Flip flops and slides are mostly made of rubber and sometimes plastic. But you can find slides from luxurious brands with high-quality materials such as leather.
Fine materials ensure durability and flexibility, so it’s a wise investment!
Aside from the strap and the thong piece mentioned previously, designs vary for both slides and flip-flops.
Flip flops tend to have little embellishments or patterns, while slides are available in many more models and styles. The width of the strap leaves room for creativity.
The sole of flip flops is very plain with a rubber patch, hence we can’t expect too much comfort from them. Most users only opt for flip-flops when they are sure they won’t be involved in any terrain-dependent activities.
Slides provide more support with their thick soles. Furthermore, manufacturers tend to give their slides an anti-slip surface and make them a favorite for slippery places like bathrooms or saunas.
With limited materials and the frail thong holding onto your feet, flip-flops might have difficulty in surviving long-term uses.
Nonetheless, be informed that slides won’t be that durable either if you keep stomping on them instead of wearing them properly.
No footwear is cheaper than flip flops, for they might even start at $1 only. However, these products are most likely temporary, and you shouldn’t go for them if you want them to stay with you for a longer time.
On the other hand, slides are often more expensive than flip-flops. You will need to spend around $20 for a decent pair. If made of high-quality materials under a popular name, it surely can go beyond $100.
Pros And Cons Of Flip Flops
So, what are the reasons to choose flip-flops as your comfy footwear?
- They are convenient when you have to repeatedly take off your footwear and put them on. Shoes with laces or high heels would be a disaster on those occasions.
- When you have them on, you will feel nothing less than air and breathability. Not only are they good for hot summer days, but they are also in favor of people who sweat profusely. As your feet have some room to breathe, bacteria have little to no chance to survive and thrive.
- If you have the size right, flip-flops will hug your feet enough firmly instead of slipping off with every step you take.
- Everyone can afford flip-flops and make use of them for a long time. Compared to the reasonable price, flip-flops tend to be very ornately and fashionably embellished. They combine well with most casual outfits.
- Flip flops are roomy and airy, thus you can clean and wash them very easily. They don’t have many spots for dirt to accumulate and form visible stain marks either.
But flip flops are not perfect, here is why:
- As simple and exposing as flip flops are, it’s hard to imagine they can protect your feet from injury risks. The downside of breathability and roominess is no coverage from germs and harmful factors.
- Regular use of flip flips will cause foot problems because this footwear doesn’t have enough support. They might feel refreshing and cool, but it doesn’t mean they have the support that your feet need.
- The V-strap demands your toes to curl and cling onto it, which might lead to stiffness and cramps.
Pros And Cons Of Slides
What advantages do slide help to face up against flip flops:
- When it comes to versatility and variety, slides can’t lose. As they make it to the runways, well-known brands also invest in them and release the most fashionable designs.
- Instead of flatness, slides have a wedge with noticeable height and a thicker sole. It will give your heels some support and reduce the tension they have to endure, thus relieving your knees and your spine from pressure as well.
- The thick strap across your foot will secure and fixate it without requiring much work from your toes. Therefore, long distances won’t be a hassle for you.
- Slides come with a sufficient toe box that gives your toes enough space to move comfortably.
- The strap and the edge of the slides provide more coverage and protect you from mild injuries or rough terrains.
Do slides have any drawbacks?
Nothing is perfect, and you can see how easily the straps slip off if you walk too fast or run. The solution is to measure your slides carefully or try them on if you can, making sure they fit you perfectly.
What To Wear With Flip Flops?
They are incredibly simple, yet with the right combinations, you can make them super chic!
- Stick to casual and relaxed items like T-shirts and flared pants, but skinny jeans will look cute with flip-flops too!
- The outfit shouldn’t be too colorful, and all accessories should stay on the upper half.
- Don’t be shy to decorate your toenails, since it might be the sole reason flip flops exist!
Other than the most casual occasions you can think of, flip-flops should stay in your bag. There’s no rule about not wearing them in the office or at school, but these places usually follow an implied dress code, and you would want to be more presentable.
What To Wear With Slides?
Here are some tips for you to slay with slides:
- Pair them with comfortable pieces: jeans, lounge pants, leggings, T-shirt. From running errands to daily outfits, slides can keep you company.
- If you want to dress up, heeled slides would do! Keeping the outfit simple and pairing it with metallic or bejeweled slides is a classic trick.
- Since your feet will be on display, you would like to keep them pedicured and healthy. Just because we are wearing casual pieces doesn’t mean we will look ungroomed.
Make sure your slides match your outfit in colors and styles. Patterned and embellished slides won’t look good with athletic pants or anything clashing with it.
You’ll love: How To Remove Shoe Paint Effectively?
So, Are Slides Or Flip Flops Better?
The most obvious Flip Flops and Sliders difference would be the strap: slides have a strap over the toe box and flip flops have a V-piece wedge between our toes.
If you are heading to the beach, flip-flops and their minimalistic design would be better. Slides might feel too thick for the seashore and struggle with the sand, though the anti-slip and comfy soles will come in handy in many situations.